- My teaching style is: Evolving with an emphasis on safety & exploration.
- My favorite yoga pose is: Downward Facing Dog
- Yoga has helped me overcome: My inner “critic”. I am learning that yoga can be a path to self-acceptance which potentially is one of the most difficult paths to follow.
- I love my feet because: It is our feet that support us every day in our physical endeavors
- My favorite deity or god/goddess is Shiva Bhairava, the Beggar with Dogs, because: This deity represents those who have been disfranchised from society. As an educator, I advocate & work with students with disabilities. Many of these students are considered on the fringe of society, & predominately come from poverty. I have also been blessed with the companionship of dogs whose example of unconditional love continue to inspire me.
- You must try this healthy snack: Spinach…raw, steamed, sautéed, even fried!
- My favorite Sanskrit word or phrase is Jai because: It means victory, specifically victory to one’s Higher self.
- My advice for beginning yogis is: Keep at it, & let it permeate your being.
- I’m most grateful for: Those individuals in the past & present who have taught me something about myself.
- The most exotic place I’ve practiced yoga is: I don’t know if I consider this “exotic” but it was an interesting experience: A mixed gender, all- nude yoga class in the Castro District, San Francisco, CA
- If I could practice yoga with anyone it would be Mom because: I miss her.
- I’m motivated to take my yoga to the next level because: I am learning that as I embrace the deeper aspects of yoga (not just asana) that life, though chaotic at times, can be more centered.
- My heroes are: Those everyday people who help others.
- My one wish for the world is: That everyone takes the time to get to know themselves
Greg Schumacher instructs the following:
Interested in trying yoga or taking it slow as you build up your asana practice?
Our gentle Beginner's Basics class will help you gain a fundamental awareness of your breath, body alignment and provide a slow-paced introduction to yoga poses. This class is suitable for all ages, fitness levels and body types. No experience is necessary!
Seeking to enhance your life with a therapeutic yoga release? Our Restorative class with the added beauty of candlelight and just a touch of heat! Treat yourself to an all-level, gently warmed yoga class that allows you to explore a variety of yoga postures while incorporating the healing benefits of breath, restorative postures, meditation mixed with some gentle flow sequences. Our experienced instructors assess the needs of the class and adjust as needed.
Our Warm Beginner's class offers all the same benefits of our "Beginner's Basics" with some sweet gentle heat to help you ease into your postures.