- My teaching style is: Evolving with an emphasis on safety & exploration.
- My favorite yoga pose is: Downward Facing Dog
- Yoga has helped me overcome: My inner “critic”. I am learning that yoga can be a path to self-acceptance which potentially is one of the most difficult paths to follow.
- I love my feet because: It is our feet that support us every day in our physical endeavors
- My favorite deity or god/goddess is Shiva Bhairava, the Beggar with Dogs, because: This deity represents those who have been disfranchised from society. As an educator, I advocate & work with students with disabilities. Many of these students are considered on the fringe of society, & predominately come from poverty. I have also been blessed with the companionship of dogs whose example of unconditional love continue to inspire me.
- You must try this healthy snack: Spinach…raw, steamed, sautéed, even fried!
- My favorite Sanskrit word or phrase is Jai because: It means victory, specifically victory to one’s Higher self.
- My advice for beginning yogis is: Keep at it, & let it permeate your being.
- I’m most grateful for: Those individuals in the past & present who have taught me something about myself.
- The most exotic place I’ve practiced yoga is: I don’t know if I consider this “exotic” but it was an interesting experience: A mixed gender, all- nude yoga class in the Castro District, San Francisco, CA
- If I could practice yoga with anyone it would be Mom because: I miss her.
- I’m motivated to take my yoga to the next level because: I am learning that as I embrace the deeper aspects of yoga (not just asana) that life, though chaotic at times, can be more centered.
- My heroes are: Those everyday people who help others.
- My one wish for the world is: That everyone takes the time to get to know themselves.
Greg Schumacher instructs the following:
Our Cool Beginners class is the perfect way to start your yoga journey and to build up your asana practice! This gentle introductory yoga class will help you gain a fundamental awareness of your breath and body alignment while moving a slower speed. This class is suitable for all ages, fitness levels and body types. No experience is necessary!
Meditation & Movement
Explore the immense benefits of mindful meditation including deep relaxation, increased optimism, pain relief, and decreased anxiety and/or depression. Many struggle with developing a meditation practice due to the prolonged sitting. Combined with guidance and gentle, periodic movement, mediation becomes much more accessible to all.
Friday Slow Flow
Slow flow yoga is a meditation in motion practice that emphasizes steady movement, led by the breath. This format is appropriate for beginners as well as those who prefer a gentle-mindful class. Offered at room temperature with some gentle heat as needed.