Sarah Maloney has been practicing yoga for 13 years and teaching for four years. She began teaching yoga at her CrossFit gym, while earning her RYT 200 certification at The Yoga Place. Sarah enjoys teaching all levels of yoga, but is drawn to leading those just entering their yoga journey, through beginner's classes.
- My teaching style is: Traditional, relaxed, encouraging and therapeutic. I want my students to really experience and feel the poses to better understand their own bodies. I love when my students find relief through their practice and leave my class feeling rejuvenated, with a calmer state of mind.
- My favorite yoga pose is: Crow because it is fun, challenging and beautiful all at the same time.
- Yoga has helped me overcome: My need to always be in control. I am more able to let go and see the fun in life!
- My favorite music to practice to is: It really all depends on my mood, and the type of practice. I love practicing to indie, rock, some oldies, classical, and traditional chant/meditative sounds.
- I love my: Butt! Yes, I said it, my big bubble butt. I used to be embarrassed and ashamed of it, but have learned to love my curves!
- My favorite Deity or Goddess is: Hanuman because he is the provider of hope and courage, as well as a symbol of physical strength and perseverance to leap past your obstacles and achieve outstanding success.
- You must try this healthy snack: There are too many to name! I love baking! I have a killer recipe for paleo sweet potato brownies, vegan gluten free brownies, and chickpea blondies. Healthy alternatives are a must for someone with a sweet tooth like me.
- My favorite sanskirt word is: Ananda which means "bliss."
- My advice for beginning yogis is: Don't give up! Yoga isn't about how physically flexible you are! It's about learning to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. The possibilities for your practice to grow and evolve are endless.
- I'm most grateful for: So many things, but most importantly, my family. I've been so blessed to grow up in such a loving home with support from both my immediate and extended family.
- The most exotic place that I've practiced yoga is: On top of a 14,000 foot mountain after hiking for hours to reach the top.
- If I could practice yoga with anyone, it would be: Adam Levine! He's my ultimate celebrity/yogi crush!
- My heroes are: My parents. They have shown me it's possible to work through any of life's difficulties, and come out stronger than you were before.
- My one wish for the world is: Positivity! If we could all just focus on the things we do have, instead of what we are lacking, we could be just a little bit happier.
Sarah Maloney instructs the following:
Interested in trying yoga or taking it slow as you build up your asana practice?
Our gentle Beginner's Basics class will help you gain a fundamental awareness of your breath, body alignment and provide a slow-paced introduction to yoga poses. This class is suitable for all ages, fitness levels and body types. No experience is necessary!
Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Yoga - $36
Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Yoga will add a bit more challenge and adventure to your yoga practice ... photo ops, laughter and splashes included!
Class kicks off with board safety, followed by a 60 minute yoga class ... ever taken savasana on the lake gazing at the clouds? Join us at the Turkeyfoot Lake Beach in the Portage Lakes State Park. Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes before class.
Yoga experience is encouraged for all SUP classes.
Other Important Details:
• Classes are limited and will sell out.
• Students must register & pay at least 48 hours in advance to guarantee your spot.
• Dress in yoga clothing or a bathing suit.
• Bring a towel with you in case you fall in!
Portage Lakes State Park is located at:
5031 Manchester Road
Akron, OH 44319
Please note: A minimum of 4 participants is required to hold this class. If the 4 person minimum has not been met 24 hours in advance, the class will be cancelled. Please help us honor this policy by signing up at least 48 hours in advance.