Icky The Bird
- My teaching style is: Well, I’m more of a mascot type of guy than a yoga teacher. But I have been thinking about enrolling in Teacher Training with Baron Baptiste in Hawaii. I just need to find the time.
- My favorite yoga pose is: Eagle, of course. Wait, no, Half Pigeon. I guess I like them both!
- Yoga has helped me overcome: My fear of flying. See, I’m named after Icarus which who was the son of Daedalus in Greek mythology. Supposedly his dad created wings for him to get the heck out of Crete. The wings were made out of wax and feathers, but Icarus really pushed himself beyond his “edge” and the wax melted when he flew too close to the sun. He slammed back to earth and drowned in the sea. I see this kind of stuff all the time … like when I see yogis rush into Crow Pose, or jump into a heated class before they’re ready. The moral? Pushing yourself is great, but not to the point of hurting yourself!
- My favorite music to practice to is: Icky Thump by the White Stripes , of course. Bird Song by Florence and the Machine is pretty cool too, except she kills the bird and all. Great beat as long as I don’t focus on the lyrics.
- I love my: Tail feathers. Honestly, some days I just stare at them in awe.
- My favorite deity is: Shiva is pretty awesome.
- You must try this healthy snack: Millet. I eat it constantly. They’re very filling little seeds.
- My favorite Sanskrit phrase is: "Ahimsa" which is non-violence. Do you hear that, Flo? Stop writing songs about killing birds!
- My advice for beginning yogis is: Just stay with your breath. It will take you to new heights.
- I’m most grateful for: My nest.
- The most exotic place that I’ve practiced yoga is: Every year I migrate and there is this awesome little pond where I just love to practice. Sweet little girlie birds hang out there too, which is a real plus!
- If I could practice yoga with anyone, it would be: Big Bird. Have you seen that dude’s handstand? Amazing.
- I want to take my yoga to the next level by: Well, someday I’d like to be able to achieve Frog Pose, so I’m really working on my hip openers.
- My hero is: Donald Duck. I met him at Kripalu and you know, he really doesn’t have anger issues at all (which just shows what an incredible actor he is.) And he works very hard in the fight against the Bird Flu and the ongoing stigma it’s created for a lot of us. He’s a pretty cool guy, actually.
- My one wish for the world is: Set out more bird-feeders, people! Everyone goes on and on about the bee shortage. Really? Bees? What we really need are more birds!
Icky The Bird is currently not instructing any classes.