Elyse is a a recent RYT 200 graduate from Release Yoga, and is a certified Buti Yoga instructor. She also teaches dance at Dianna Durkin Dance Studio. Elyse took her first yoga class in high school, but didn't find a deeper connection to the practice till later on. For Elyse yoga is a moving meditation that keeps her mind and body refreshed. She hopes to encourage students to never stop learning and exploring all that their bodies can inform them about each time they step onto their mat.
- My teaching style is: Always changing! I am always open to learn more from others and share that knowledge with students. I approach teaching with a light hearted attitude, as we are all learning and growing together.
- My favorite yoga pose is: Currently, it's a tie between Triangle and Warrior III. I love the strong sense of grounding and alignment I experience in Triangle, and it also a a great time to check back in with your breath. Many people build mental blocks around Warrior III, but it allows you to break those fears down, you confront your fear/self doubt and take flight with strength and confidence!
- Yoga has helped me overcome: Different insecurities and feelings of self doubt that I have carried for many years about myself. When I come to my mat I am reminded that I am capable of so much more than I realize!
- I love my... because: For along time I had insecurities with my body, but now I am finally embracing it because it's here to stay!
- My favorite deity or god/goddess is Jesus because:
He lived his life in the service of others, always thinking of them before himself. He sought to help people not judge them for their problems, something more people should focus on.
- You must try this healthy snack: toss popcorn with salt & pepper, lime juice and a bit of Sriracha for some heat! Or keep it simple with an apple and your choice of nut butter!
- My favorite Sanskrit word or phrase is... because: Om Namah Shivaya - which translates to “I bow to the inner Self”. Answers and knowledge can come from within you if you look close enough.
- My advice for beginning yogis is: Don't let yourself get caught up thinking the challenging/advanced poses are everything. Asanas are just a small part of what it means to be a yogi! Always remember your yoga journey is uniquely yours!
- I’m most grateful for: The support of my family. They have been a lifelong source of encouragement and unconditional love, and I would not be here without them.
- The most exotic place I’ve practiced yoga is: THE BEACH!
- I’m ready to take my yoga to the next level because: I want to continue to open myself up to all potential happiness and joy that yoga holds for me and for those around me.
- My heroes are: Teachers (not just from my yoga experience) who gave me the courage to believe I was more than I perceived.
- My one wish for the world is: More love and understanding, less hate and aggression.